Friday, January 19, 2018

Gudeg Mbah Lindu - The Oldest Gudeg seller in Jogjakarta



I'm surprised how can there be anyone, a mother who sells one type of food for over 80 years in a same place I said right away that this has to go into Guinness because there's no one that I know of in this world, who's still alive, and everyday is still cooking and selling like Mbah Lindu, No one. She can preserve that taste for over 84 years, to me that's difficult. Many who dislike gudeg eat at Mbah Lindu's say they like it. "This gudeg I like," people said.

Even Germans who saw in the beginning, how it's served consider it unhygienic, everything is served with bare hands, in the end, they asked for more. I see her spirit. The spirit of a mother. Can you imagine? We can't imagine.

97 Years old and still working, pulling out woods, roasting, anything in that hot room. It saddens me, this situation. I'm 99 years old No, 97. 7 Or 9 I forgot.

Don't fast-forward your age Mbah Lindu is 97 years old. She has to walk on foot for 5.5 Km from where she lives in Klembengan,
Selokan Mataram, north of UGM. To Sostrowijaya
around Malioboro, that's... Well you can imagine.

She started selling when she was 13 or 14 in the Dutch era. At around the age of 13 I already started selling There was no electricity at that time No airplanes yet In the Dutch era, there was a man who guarded over there A foreigner, not Indonesian He asked for my gudeg, and when I didn't give it to him, he chased me, and I ran At this age, I still feel healthy, still can sell For years, the only sickness I have is common cold, like today It's been a week and I'm still not feeling well, my customers ask about me This. This. How long will she stay like this? In that age How long will you continue to sell? I want to live long so I can keep selling I don't want to bother my kids and grandkids Her motivation to work is to not bother her kids and grandkids, to also support them financially.

That's a great motivation. Everything I have is from Mbah. Food, my children's schooling, my children's lunch money, everything is from Mbah. Female workers that I meet in Jogja tend to work hard, because otherwise, they'll get sick.

Doctors are surprised, how can I, at this age, have no illness I said, I'm sick when I don't have money The doctor laughed A lot of people think they're old, it's time for them to rest. To them, resting makes them sick, and so for them, working is a form of gratitude, their gratitude for their long life, also a gratitude for their food that's still liked by a lot of people, their skills that are still appreciated by others. That's amazing. I'm just worried, I'm worried that no one is going to continue on.

A lot of times, traditional food is gone because no one continues it. Seeing these chefs can inspire can burn the spirit of others to do their best to love what they do for their families and for this nation..

Gudeg Mbah Lindu - The Oldest Gudeg seller in Jogjakarta

No comments:

Post a Comment